Live And Work In New Zealand? 7 Major Things To consider

It is almost difficult to gather all information needed on how to find the right jobs in New Zealand, applying for the right visa and who can help you secure work once you have your legal documentation finalized. So, in this article, we will be treating you to 7 major questions as to living and working in New Zealand.

What do I need in order to work in New Zealand?

The decision to travel, live and work in New Zealand begins with securing the right Visa. If you are coming to New Zealand to work, it is likely that you may need a job offer before you can apply for a resident or temporary work visa.

What visa do I need to work in New Zealand?

There are different visas that let you work in New Zealand. The best place to start is Immigration New Zealand. Eligibility is key and that begins with meeting the right criteria and completing the correct application for the visa you are applying for.

The types of working visas for overseas workers are:

  • Temporary visas
    this is a type of Visa that only allow you to work and live in New Zealand for a specific period of time.
  • Essential skills work visas
    This type of visa can be accessed when you have received a job offer in an occupation that is listed on the skill shortage list. The period of time that you can stay in New Zealand and the conditions of the visa depends on the term of your job offer, your salary and the labour market condition. This kind of visas do not tend to have an age limit.
  • Working holiday visa
    Applicants within the ages of 18-30 can apply for working holiday visas, which allows you travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months (or 23 months if you’re from the UK or Canada), but your main reason for coming to New Zealand needs to be for a holiday, rather than for work.
  • Resident visas
    this type of Visa lets you live and work in New Zealand indefinitely. The Skilled Migrant Category checks a number of factors including your age, work experience, qualifications and an offer of skilled employment to work out if you are eligible or not. Alternatively, the Work to Residence Category is when you apply to ‘upgrade’ from a temporary work visa to a residence visa after holding a temporary work visa for at least 24 months. You must be aged 55 or under to apply for these visas.

How long does it take to process the Visa?

On average, Visa processing can take up to 20 – 25 working days, however, this may vary depending on the type of application.

If you submit an Expression Of Interest under the Skilled Migrant Category, you will receive an invitation to apply for residence within three weeks. Depending on whether additional checks and documents are needed, the majority of residence applications are processed within four to six months.

Are there restrictions on my visa?

Yes, there are restrictions on the work you can do, limiting it to a specific occupation, employer or location.

If your work visa has a restriction that you want to change, you can also apply to make some changes on the conditions of your existing visa instead of applying for a new one.

Is the visa process expensive?

The visa process can be expensive. Some visas are free, some cost a few hundred dollars and others are several thousand dollars but depends on the specific visa you are applying for.

Most work visas can be applied for online. Online applications are usually faster and less expensive than using a paper application form.

What does right to work in New Zealand mean?

This a legal document that serves a proof that you have obtained the rights to live and work in New Zealand and this document could be in the form of a visa, evidence of permanent resident status, an Australian or New Zealand passport, New Zealand birth certificate or a certificate of New Zealand citizenship.

Where can I go for more information about visas?

You can find answers to your questions and further assistance via  Immigration New Zealand or the Department of Internal Affairs Immigration Advisers Authority for information on who to speak to for immigration advice.